FBI Director Christopher Wray, the man who has been running the national witchhunt against all things Chinese under both Bush and Biden, announced June 3 in the Wall Street Journal that we must respond to the ransomware attacks by pinning it all on Russia, and mobilizing the United States against them. “Time and time again, “ Wray said of the cyber attacks, “a huge portion of those traced back to actors in Russia. And so, if the Russian government wants to show that it’s serious about this issue, there’s a lot of room for them to demonstrate some real progress that we’re not seeing right now,” Wray said. As usual, evidence is not required when one is part of the U.S. intelligence service.
The ransomware attacks are certainly extremely damaging. CNN reports: “The United States was hit by more than 15,000 ransomware incidents against organizations last year alone, according to Brett Callow, a threat analyst at the cybersecurity firm Emsisoft. The attacks cost the U.S. between an estimated $596 million and $2.3 billion in 2020 in ransom payments and lost productivity, Callow said. The true figures may likely be even higher, he added, because Emsisoft’s estimates only account for confirmed cases of ransomware incidents.”