Both Russian and Ukrainian authorities reported yesterday that Russia had launched large-scale missile attacks targeting Ukraine’s energy grid on Nov. 23, including in Kiev and elsewhere across the country. According to RT, Ukraine’s national power grid operator Ukrenergo reported emergency power outages in all regions, while Kiev Mayor Vitaly Klitschko said that there were explosions in various parts of the city and that water supplies had been cut off. The whole of Odessa Region is without electricity, local authorities said. And the mayor of Kharkov, Ukraine’s second-largest city, reported that the subway system had been paralyzed, due to a power outage.
The interruption of electricity also forced the shutdown of the South Ukraine Nuclear Power Plant in the southern city of Nikolaev, and the Khmelnytskyi Nuclear Power Plant in western Ukraine.
At an emergency UN Security Council called yesterday to discuss the situation, Russian ambassador Vasily Nebenzya explained that Russian forces are targeting “Ukraine’s infrastructure facilities in response to flooding that country with Western weapons and the reckless calls on Kiev to defeat Russia.”
“One of the goals of the special military operation is to undermine the Ukrainian army’s combat capabilities. And it will be attained to military means until the Kiev regime takes a realistic position, which will make it possible to discuss and try to settle those problems, which have prompted us to launch the special military operation,” he said at the UN Security Council meeting.