The Wall Street Journal, in an article published Feb. 19, claims that President Donald Trump is considering a plan for limited strikes to force Tehran to meet his demands that Iran give up its nuclear program. “If Iran still refused to comply with Trump’s directive to end its nuclear enrichment, the U.S. would respond with a broad campaign against regime facilities—potentially aimed at toppling the Tehran regime,” the Journal reports, citing “people familiar with the matter.”
The Journal speculates that the limited strike option “signals Trump might be open to using military force not only as a reprimand for Iran’s failure to make a deal, but also to pave the way for a U.S.-friendly accord. One of the people said Trump could ratchet up his attacks, starting small before ordering larger strikes until the Iranian regime either dismantles its nuclear work or falls.”
Trump unfortunately responded to the report the next day, confirming that he is considering strikes on Iran. “I guess I can say I am considering that,” Trump said when asked about it during a meeting with governors on Feb. 20.
The Journal also notes that Iranian officials have threatened to respond with maximum force to any level of American strikes–this is because they regard the U.S. threat as existential. The Journal also notes, in reference to Trump’s 10-day timeline that he mentioned yesterday, that Iran is already wary of Trump’s diplomatic timelines. Last year, the White House said it would give Iran two weeks to make a similar nuclear deal. But just days later, B-2 bombers and other platforms attacked three Iranian nuclear sites, setting back the country’s nuclear work.