Skip to content

April 10, 2024 (EIRNS)—Recent opinion poll indicates that three-quarters of Israelis want Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to resign. A poll by Kan public broadcaster and Channel 12 published surveys on April 7, to coincide with the six-month milestone since the war on Gaza started on Oct. 7, which showed the current government would be ousted if elections were held immediately.

Kan reported that 42% of Israelis believe Netanyahu should resign immediately, and 29% that he should step down after the war concludes, making a total of 71% seeking his ouster. Only 21% said Netanyahu doesn’t need to resign and 8% said they don’t know. Two-thirds of respondents said elections should be held before the end of the year.

In addition, 44% said there should be elections within a few months, 22% want elections sometime over the coming year, and 26% said there should only be elections when they are next due, in October 2026. Another 8% said they don’t know. The Channel 12 poll found that 50% believe there should be early elections.

The Kan poll showed that 45% believe Netnanyahu holds overall responsibility for the failure in the Oct. 7 attacks while 35% put the blame on IDF Chief of Staff Herzi Halevi and the head of the Shin Bet security service. Regarding performance in handling the war, 68% said Netanyahu is not doing well, compared to 29% who said he is, and 3% who said they don’t know. Asked if the government is “doing enough to bring back the hostages,” 56% respond no and 39% said it is. Another 5% said they don’t know. The Channel 12 poll found that 49% think Netanyahu is acting out of political interests, compared to 35% who said he is acting for practical reasons. The remaining 16% said they don’t know.

In recent developments, New Hope leader Gideon Sa’ar pulled his party out of the government in a spat over seats in the three-person war cabinet that is overseeing the war. He also earlier split his alliance with the National Unity Party led by Benny Gantz.

This post is for paying subscribers only


Already have an account? Sign In